Often local people will try to get the word out about their news, event or call for help by putting up posters in the area on places such as lampposts, bus stops and notice boards in local pubs, clubs, churches, foyers, etc.
You could help bring the poster to a wider audience by simply taking a photo of it and publishing it on your community website, or merely by writing down the information and typing that up in a post if you do not have a camera to hand when you see it.
There will undoubtedly be posters up in your area about a range of topics, such as:
- I put this notice on Digbeth is Good when I saw the poster for a missing man in the area.
- Birmingham local pet website Meowsley publishes lost cat notices it finds.
Advertising an event, such as a music gig or community meeting
- If you see an event or gig poster, write a post about it, just like The Parish Post have done for an afternoon of Cream Teas and Handmade Crafts at a local farm.
- If you see a notice for a local community meeting then post that up too, like Karen Strunks did when she saw an Open Forum would be taking place on her estate Wake Green Park in the residents’ newsletter.
Merely sharing a piece of locally relevant information
- When someone in W14 London saw a sign for a local office closure, they let residents know by posting the notice W14 & SW6 community website.