There’s a great site for finding social groups in your area called GroupsNearYou.com. Just type in your location or postcode and it shows you what’s close by.
Now you can provide that very same ease of use to your own local blog. I’ve just finished the first phase of a new GroupsNearYou plugin for WordPress. It provides blog owners with a new widget which, once configured, will show the groups in your area.
Below is a video showing how to set the widget up and there are also written instructions. The plugin itself can be downloaded from my website where you can also subscribe to updates. Once you’ve downloaded the plugin, follow these instructions on how to manually install a plugin. If you have any suggestions, questions or comments please use the comments section.
- Go to Plugins
- Activate the GroupsNearYou plugin
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Drag the GroupsNearYou widget to your sidebar
- Configure the settings according to your own location and your preferred display
- Check your blog and you should see the new widget added to your sidebar