Here are some links the Talk About Local team found interesting for Monday 23rd April:
- The BBC, Regional News and Sport, and Hyperlocal Blogs | Andy Mabbett, aka pigsonthewing - The BBC are keen to explore the potential for including items from hyperlocal sites in the “From other news sites” links within their online regional news posts.
- BBC College of Journalism Blog – Event: Connecting Communities Conference – Salford 2012 - ‘How can mainstream and community media co-exist and collaborate? The BBC College of Journalism is holding a major conference to explore the subject at the BBC’s new offices at MediaCityUK in Salford on 24 May.’
- Case Comment: R (Guardian News and Media Limited) v City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court – Open justice and access to court documents – Edward Craven « Inforrm’s Blog- A long and detailed blog post about the openness of courts, which reasserts common law values over Freedom Of Information and the Human Rights Act.
- Online-only news outlets ‘struggle to find funding’ – University of Oxford - ‘The first report to assess systematically how online-only news websites across Western Europe are faring has found that new start-ups are struggling to find business models that can cover their operating costs.’
- PR Newswire for bloggers – ‘tools to help your blog thrive’ -We suspect this could be a lot more useful with geo-tagging.
Nicky is the Communications Manager at Talk About Local – recruiting, training and working with IT trainers and active citizens across the UK to help them create and develop simple yet effective community websites and online profiles. Nicky is currently overseeing Talk About Local's Networking for Work project, helping jobseekers to take control of their online profiles and look their best online. Nicky managed the popular Birmingham hyperlocal website Digbeth is Good since it began in May 2008 until moving to Cardiff in December 2011, where she helps organise regular Canton Social Media Surgeries. Nicky is interested in ways of using storytelling, game-playing and events within communities to tell their stories and effect positive change.